Updated 21 May 2015
Resume for JOSEPH M. ROBERTS
Any position I consider must:
- Provide challenging technical work which utilizes
my knowledge of electronic systems.
- Provide new and continued opportunities for increase and diversification of technical knowledge.
- Preferably offer at least some travel opportunities.
I am not currently seeking new employment, however I would consider outstanding opportunities. Approximate salary required: $225k +/- (depending on benefits).
BSEE Western New England College, Springfield, MA, 1983
- C Programming
- Local Area Networks
- Digital Signal Processing
- Introduction to UNIX
- Magnetic Recording
- Fiber Optics Communications
- Kitco Military Fiber Optics (hands on) course
- Object Oriented Programming
- Numerous Sonar and Underwater Sound courses
- Front End Expert in AN/SQS-53C Hull Sonar
- Promotion to High Grade September 1999
- Performance/Special Act Awards: 1985, 1987, 1989 - 2005
- Letters of Appreciation: 1987, 1995, 2001; 2004 (2), 2005, SECNAV Citation 1988
- High Performance Rating in 1987, 1990, 1993, 1995 - 2015
- Attendance at critical meetings has been specifically requested by top management on several occasions.
- Earned the technical respect of highly qualified personnel at General Electric/Lockheed Martin, Westinghouse/Northrop Grumman, Alliant Tech Systems/Hughes Aircraft, and various Navy activities.
- Gained a reputation for generating extremely detailed and comprehensive documentation (investigative reports, trip reports, test plans and procedures, etc.).
- Extensive knowledge of AN/SQS-53C (and later variants) hull mounted passive/active sonar system. Expert in all asepcts of hull mounted sonar front end.
- Demonstrated expertise in system problem investigation and resolution. Have solved or explained a number of "unsolved mysteries" of the AN/SQQ-89 system; workable solutions were proposed for each case.
- Expert abilities in electrical test and measurement (analog, digital and power); ability to perform tests in the laboratory or at a remote site with little or no supervision/consultation required.
- Expert knowledge of audio systems; have designed, installed, modified, tested and repaired numerous sophisticated audio systems.
- Extensive experience with data acquisition systems, system performance prediction and data analysis (using MATLAB).
Naval Undersea Warfare Center:
AN/SQQ-89(V)14 Chief Engineer:
Responsible for oversight of activities associated with one of the Navy's most advanced sonar systems. Involved with COTS upgrades, system problem investigations, and ship (at sea) support. Also involved with generating test plans, procedures and performing data analysis and preparing detailed test reports.
AN/SQQ-89(V)14 Maintenance Course Developer/Instructor:
Developed approximately 1/3 of the lesson material for both classroom and laboratory portions of an intensive 12 week course focusing on maintenance of the AN/SQQ-89(V)14 system. Taught the pilot course to US Navy personnel and served as lab instructor for subsequent courses.
AN/SQQ-89(V)15 Sonar System Lead Hardware Engineer:
Previously served as a member of the ASFS team on the AN/SQQ-89(V)15 program. Tasks included reviewing test plans, procedures and test results (to ultimately verify that the contractor's design met the design requirements.
Passive Subsystem Modernization Program Hardware Engineer:
Previously supported the development of a newly developed COTS based signal conditioning/beamforming unit. Used MATLAB extensively to perform FFT and time domain
analysis on acquired data from the active signal
subsystem. Scrutinized test data for compliance with system requirements
(noise floor, gain/phase response, harmonic content, etc.). Quickly earned the technical respect of a very highly qualified team while working on site for a several week period.
- System Analysis: Extensive experience with verification of system performance. Knowledge of signal conditioning (analog and digital signal transmission, sampling systems, noise floor analysis, signal scaling, modulation, filtering, etc.). Knowledge of beamforming theory, systems, analysis and trade-offs. Extensive involvement with design reviews, documentation review (performance requirement, test requirement, test procedure, installation, and environmental / EMI test documents). Ability to identify, suggest and implement corrective measures to faulty system design.
- Power Systems: Experience with analysis, specification and measurement of system prime power distribution systems (single and three phase [to 440 VAC], power factor, line loading effects, etc.). Knowledge of Power Quality measurement and assessment.
- Laboratory Equipment: Broad knowledge of theory and operation of numerous laboratory instruments including oscilloscopes (analog and digital), spectrum and signal analyzers, data acquisition systems, signal generators, voltmeters, frequency counters and power supplies. Strong understanding of test equipment capabilities and limitations. Ability to design, assemble and install sophisticated custom measurement circuits and test setups when needed.
- Digital Imaging: Solid understanding of digital imaging techniques; knowledge of image file formats, image processing theory and methods.
- Digital Audio: Knowledge of digital audio theory and audio signal processing.
- MATLAB: Extensive experience in using MATLAB for data analysis, system simulation and prediction, signal generation (both audio signals and digital images).
- Technical Writing/Presentations: Extensive experience in planning investigations, preparing technical reports, and making technical presentations to customers and sponsors. Ability to lead and direct a team of engineers; ability to plan and track projects.
- Travel/ Field Service: Twenty years of domestic travel experience. Demonstrated ability to effectively interface and work with contractors in resolving system issues. Extensive experience with dockside and at sea support, debug and testing of AN/SQQ-89 systems.
- Extensive work in the area of "fixing existing systems that don't work as designed".
- Some knowledge and experience with the AN/SQQ-28(V) LAMPS system; limited knowledge of the AN/SQR-19(V) system.
- Some knowledge of vacuum tubes.
- Significant experience with design and installation of home security systems.
- Got started in electronics at age 7 (playing with batteries and light bulbs). See a brief history of my teen years in electronics here.
Good working knowledge of PC based systems. Experience
with DOS, Windows, MATLAB, Microcap, BASIC, Autocad, HTML, and PhotoShop.
Some knowledge of and/or experience with UNIX, C, FORTRAN, and assembly language programming (8085 and 68000). Creator/maintainer of several significantly extensive web sites.
Naval Undersea Warfare Center Newport Division
New London CT/Newport RI 1983 to present
- Developer/maintainer of extensive web pages at
- Manager/creator/maintainer of a popular web site devoted to Amateur Astronomy: Amateur Astronomer's Notebook.
- Designed and built a backyard observatory with extensive imaging capabilities.
E-mail to Joe Roberts
End of page.